5.10.09

My Monday Morning Mourning

As I dragged myself into another Monday of phone calls, emails, and rah-rah meetings, I realized there is something missing. Oh sure there can be MORE money, an environment better suited to my personality, and guitars everywhere, but there seems to be an absence of something even more vital. Anyone who knows me can see that I am not a corporate America sort of cat. Cubes are cages to me and offices are merely cages with windows. But as they say (whoever the F "they" are), "a boy's gotta eat. And that would go for his family too. So it's both the starving artist, and starving family, life or I do the J.O.B. thing…at least for now. The commute. The dress slacks. The "good mornings". The wait for a fricken cup of coffee. Then there is that damn computer. Not one with a microphone and guitar connected to it. Nor is it one with a page of writings, stories, blogs, and lyrics. No, it is one with company reminders…reminders from inexperienced managers attempting to motivate using sports analogies (which mean nothing to many guitar players) and name after name of "prospects". All the trappings of corporate life which I have accepted, at least for the time being. And I can deal. But there is something missing that could make it all worth while.

More money? Well duh. More satisfaction? You bet. Better hours? Oh yeah. Fulfillment? Hell yes!!...and yet these are not what has created the abyss in my morning.

I had my standard two cups of coffee at home—1 for the shower and 1 for the drive. Then to the most important meal of the day which consisted of a couple of these "Aussie Bites" from Costco, (which are quite tasty) and two pieces of string cheese. Which brings me to my point. Yes, I am caffeinated and somewhat nourished but, and here it goes, the abyss is this: I NEED A FREAKIN CHORIZO BURRO! THERE!! I said it. I need a big, fat, spicy mound of seasoned pork sausage and scrambled eggs wrapped in a huge burrito-sized tortilla. It has become so clear that had I been able to dive into a chorizo burro this morning that, at least for a few delicious chili-flavored minutes- all of these cubes and phones surrounding me would transform to a sandy beach, palm trees and waves. My coffee mug would become a Corona (or 4) and all these people I pretend to like would turn into my family and friends. Yes, chorizo can do that. AND, with the right helping of the right salsa, my dress slacks would mutate to my favorite jeans…I AM wearing a cool shirt today so that can stay.

As I sit here wondering if perhaps I sound a bit like Anthony Bourdain, I am somewhat relived. I spilled my guts but not the salsa. Now lunchtime approaches and salvation seems within my reach…just add beans and rice to that order.

2 Comments:

At 10/05/2009, Blogger grace said...

That was a GREAT post. I enjoyed reading it and relate a bit. Your observation is spot on! I have in the past worked the 'corporate' job. I got to a point where I couldn't take it anymore and switched gears. I sat there one day at my desk, and said to myself there has to be more than pushing papers. I became a Hairstylist.

I wish you ocean breezes and palm trees.

 
At 10/08/2009, Blogger Unknown said...

thanks grace!! Hey did your hear Roger is doing a solo tour?? No dates here in AZ yet but we will see...maybe I should become a hairdresser!! HAHA! Thanks for reading!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home