31.8.04

First Day of School For My Princess

Tomorrow morning my daughter is starting her first day of preschool. It is a bigger deal to me because I wasn't there when my boy had his. At that time I was pretty much a loser. Most likely loaded and too into myself to be there. BUT I can't let the past rob me of this moment. I will be there and I even get to drop her off. SO many times my past robs me of my present, and tomorrow I get a wonderful present. I will be present! I am sure she will be wearing something pink and she may be brave on the way in and there my be tears when I leave...But no one will see me in my truck! Even though it is only preschool she is still going to be in someone else' s hand all day! Now, I love my little princess beyond words but I will say a prayer for her teacher!

My wife and I have never baby talked our kids so she is very articulate. A blessing and a curse. She can talk continuously for at least 45 mins. Which is good in that when things are quiet around here, we know there is some kind of stealth princess activity...for instance:
  • closing herself inside the pantry...usually with some sort of chocolate something
  • hiding in her closet (she is NOT afraid of the dark) with a brand new box of cereal complete with teeth marks on the inside bag
  • in our bathroom with mommy's make-up-this one is a killer because when you finally find her she has done her own extreme make over...it is hard to get mad at a beautiful little face with a huge smile and eyebrow pencil handiwork that would make Alice Cooper jealous!
  • or hiding in her room after knocking over my wife's 4-foot nightstand...you see she needed to get mommy's perfume...she just needed it...
  • other times she just gives it up, meaning stands in her room waiting for me to come in as she holds out whatever bag of chips, candy, cereal, or whatever, that she raided from the kitchen..."Here Daddy, I got this for you!" What do you say to something like that??? My wife and I usually have to turn away because we are laughing so hard!

The list is an entire site on its own (hmmm...)

But I will stand firm as I drop her off. And if she has second thoughts, I will be the tower of strength that all daughters think their dad's are. I will not show weakness if she cries for Mommy or says, "But Daddy..."

However, all bets are off if she pulls her ace...I am holding her close, gettin gmy goodbye kiss, and she puts her little tiny hand, that is capable of so much damage, on my face with the touch rivaling a butterflies wing and says, "I love you so much Daddy".

At that point two things can happen.

  1. I remain the rock of fatherhood and scoot her off to her teacher...ONE more kiss goodbye and I am outta there...crying, screaming or not (her not me)...OR
  2. I fold, cave in, collapse, liquefy, become mush, blabber like an idiot, implode...AND turn right around and take her home for Nemo cereal and a marathon Barbie session with the Strawberry Shortcake DVD paying in a continuous loop...

A real man knows when he is defeated.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home