12.12.05

Emergent, Relevant, PoMo?? What is all this?


celtic-cross_opt
Originally uploaded by stradasphere.


I have been on a spiritual journey...into strange worlds where the inhabitants speak in tongues, using words like postmodernism, relevance, emergence concerning the chruch and following Jesus. It is no big suprise that I stumbled into this weird, yet welcoming world. My church life has left me wanting more, even bored. It's not that my pastor isn't peaking bold truth or but the people, the experience, the walking and talking all seem dull and lifeless. I have always thought that the way we do church should be exciting..OH YES...the Word should be enough to excite me and the Spirit should be enough to move me...but how it is offered, honored, revelled in doesn't or hasn't suited my rock and roll rebel heart. I feel my passion for Jesus has been quelled by an unspoken rule to "take it easy". Even our worship music, while better than some, could offer so much more. But the dull and unenthused faces I see every Sunday morning sings a sad song. Yes, there are the occasional joyful, sorrowful, repentant, broken, jubilant faces singing, but for the most part I see a rote expression of mouthing the words and "can we sit down now".

I have made contact with a couple brothers by email...the conversation continues!