20.5.08

Happy Belated Birthday Pete!!


















I have an excuse for not posting this yesterday...I was in bed sick, but here goes anyway. Yesterday was the birthday of one of the most influential persons in my life not related to me. A few others are in there too...these guys named John, Paul, George, and Ringo, some dude named Jimi, a very cool cat named Jesus, a teacher from high school named Barclay, and a few others BUT one stands out from my childhood. None other than Pete Townshend from The Who! Oh, how you say can he be above someone like Jesus? Well, I didn't know Jesus then.

When I was a kid, like today, music was the only thing that made sense. Song lyrics were my gospel and Pete was like Saint Paul to me. Townshend's penchant for penning songs of teenage angst were just what I needed as an angry, misunderstood, creative (with few outlets), hurt, and lonely teenager. I think the masterpiece Quadrophenia hit me the hardest. A story of a young man with parents who didn't understand him, a society that made no sense, and four different personalities. Two songs in particular, I'm One, and 5:15 hit home the hardest. I remember thinking, "someone finally understands me". But enough about me.

I raise a glass to a genius, a true artist, and the master of smashing guitars!

LONG LIVE ROCK and PETE TOWNSHEND!!
Thank God you didn't die before you got old!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5/20/2008, Blogger grace said...

Great post for Pete's birthday. Fantastic pictures too. I like the last thing you wrote, thank god he didn't die before he got old!! here,here!
Hope you are feeling better today.

 
At 5/31/2008, Blogger Unknown said...

ok. you made me weepy and sentimental for the midnight movies. Quadrophenia 48 times. TOMMY (MY CHURCH) 54 times, and the kids are alright a measly 38 times...her man's been gone, for nye on a year. should have been home yesterday...but he ain't here. que pete's lead in then keiths' slappy always amazing drums!!FUCK YES! xoxo reb d.

 
At 5/31/2008, Blogger Unknown said...

p.s. do you remember dianne taking her 35mm and a tri-pod into the theatre? we knew them so well we got some pretty cool shots. thank God we found each other to celebrate our ooojha-ness.

ode to chubbins

 

Post a Comment

<< Home