26.1.07

Surreal Red Chile


Somehow, right now, I feel in my element. Lunch in an old Mexican food restaurant where the old man at the door knows my name. Or at least my dad's. My old man showed up a bit after I ordered a Dos Equis.
"You look good."
"Thanks Pop."

Some chips, some beer, some stories. Recent stories of sibling visits leading to examinations of familial character. Then, almost always, a big smile or some laughter. Old stories too starting with, "what ever happened to so and so". Then memories of an earlier time when we were younger and we were on the top of the world and no one could stop us. We ran the show, we owned the town.

Now we remember and notice how much has changed but more importantly, what hasn't. The love and the loyalty which surpassed the pain, the tears, the betrayals, the crazy freaking nights on the town.

Now two men, one feeling much like a boy, sit eating off each other's plates with only the rare awkward silence.
"Do you want some of my red chili."
"Sure Pop, bite of my taco."

There were no lectures, no regrets, just two men who love each other deeply. A father and his first born son and name sake. Lunch ends with a surprise handful of cash, which made it all too familiar. In the past, I would have worked him for it, but never too hard. It has been many years since I asked him for a dime. For some reason, the old man sports me a few 20's.
"Here's some chump change."
"Shit! Thanks Pop."

A hug later and we go our separate ways. As in the past, I never want to go back to work or wherever after lunch with the old man. For some reason, it feels time to go out and take on the world in some way. Keep the party going. And in a way it does. In my truck,
Behind Blue Eyes is playing right off the radio. My mom is obviously selecting radio songs from heaven.
"I'm glad you had a nice time with your dad. I miss you both and love you both very much Honeybee."

With Pink Floyd blaring in my headphones back at my office, I am isolating to record my thoughts. It's all so real, yet surreal. And the red chili rocked.

4 Comments:

At 1/28/2007, Blogger PTfan said...

: )

 
At 1/30/2007, Blogger Metalchick said...

Hi Liobnel,
That sounded like a really nice lunch!

It's good to know that parents will always be there for us, no matter what.

Take care.

 
At 1/31/2007, Blogger PTfan said...

And so the countdown continues. : )
Depends, eh? You slay me Sir!

Well today was just about one of the crappiest days ever at work, but yes, that is my outlook for 2007. : )
You like?
I like!

 
At 2/02/2007, Blogger Jeff Austin said...

It's not bragging when you're excited about seeing The Who. It's celebrating, mahn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home