3.3.06

I Did, And I Still Do


Six years ago today I married this beautiful woman! It has been a long and crazy ride. We have been together on and off for about 13 years. The last 6 years, every day and every night.

I met this beautiful brunette at Long Wong's in Tempe. I had a green Telecaster around my neck and I was rocking out as hard as I could. Then I saw her and she was checking me out! My lead singer leaned over, mid-song, and said if you get that, you are the king. Well I am the king! She didn't say much the first night we met. I was probably coked out and I did all the talking. She was engaged to a roadie!! She graduated to a REAL musician! I knew I should stay away from her because she was engaged, but it was hard to. I kept running into her at gigs, and she was not very shy about her interest!

One night I was in the recording studio trying to lay down a lead guitar track. I kept messing up. Then the boys called me into the control room and said, "Maybe this will help...some girl named Angell called the practice studio asking for you!" She had called Long Wongs and said she wanted to book my band, Beggar's Theater. She lied to get my phone number! After I called our answering machine and heard her voice I went back in and cranked out one of the most killer solos!!!

It was a long road after that. She left squinty roadie boy and we became an item. He even had the nerve to come up to me in a bar when I was hanging with my good friend Jack (Daniels) and said, "If I could take your head off, I would". I said, "But you can't!" and smirked away in my leather jacket.

We went through a lot of relationship crap that ended in me turning her away in true rock and roll guitarist fashion. Little explanation but left the back door open. Then afte some weeks had passed...after many 2 a.m. phone calls to come over...we separated. Then at a wedding, she told me, and I quote, "I'm pregnant, it's yours, and I'm keeping it!!!" Well now!

She moved away to have our boy...I did meth. After Alex was born I tried to make it work. I failed. Tons of pain and I still acted like a rock star...but deep in my heart I knew I loved her and could not live without her. So we went to court. I got sober and visitation., She got some letters and a bunch of invitations...none that she took me up on. One day she said she was going to marry a man with the heart of Jesus...hmmm...soon after I came to the Lord. More AA, more talks, and a couple school functions later and we couldn't keep our hands off each other!! So we got married! What the hell!!

Our marriage came with a TON of baggage, and we are still working through it. But it is very real. Real love, real pain, real joy, and real hope. Hope for a long and loving, NOT PERFECT, future with the girl that I measured beauty with.

Side note: While we were apart, our son who went to a Christian school prayed every day that mom and dad would get married. We did not find this out until after we were married. His Kindergarten teacher told us with beaming eyes. Who says dreams don't come true!

4 Comments:

At 3/03/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

incredible. great story.

 
At 3/03/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Mr. P!!

 
At 3/09/2006, Blogger soiled_dove said...

You two are so good looking! :)

 
At 3/09/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

thanks Laura...so I guess you'll be getting that raise after all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home