22.6.06

The Punk Blames the Godfather


Here is me circa '82 doing a Pete! I wish the photo would have been taken a second later for more height but...

This morning I realized my lifelong songwriting problems are Townshend's fault. I shall explain..

I have written so many songs that took way too long to write. They never seem to be right or I continuous think it could be better. Now I know most artists do this, that's not my point, which I will get to.

I also have a CD's worth of lyrics that need music AND I have a ton of riffs and chord progression lonely for the lyric. Here's where Pete comes in. In the past, when I was in a band, I put songs together with urgency because we had a gig or recording to do. Then I could call a song complete, we played, people dug it, and I'm done. Now, the music is for me and for the sake of music.

So what does the greatest songwriter of all time have to do with this? JUST THAT! I admire the Birdman's songs so much that I think I subconsciously raised my bar to that level. So, that along with some good ol' OCD and insecurity, I just don't write the damn things! Why? Because I think they are supposed to be as good as a Who song! I KNOW, I KNOW...That's nuts! BUT I think I have done that to myself albeit by accident.

When you go to create something you think, "this is how it is supposed to be" and shoot for that. But this artistic path is fatally flawed and takes individuality and uniqueness out of the game. "All or Nothing" does not apply here, but my brain has made it so! AND IT'S ALL PETE'S FAULT! If he hadn't written the most influential music in my personal life this would have never happened! I mean when I first heard "The Real Me" or "I'm One" especially, I knew someone understood. Some brilliant, sometimes crabby, Englishman wielding a Deluxe Les Paul know who the hell I was!!! But trying to be someone you, dare I say idolize, can stifle your own creativity.

So at 41 years young, I am going to stop blaming Pete, even though I didn't know it was his fault until today. I will still keep the bar high, but there are some songs to write. Songs of love for my lovely wife, songs of pain from my own heart, songs of joy for my kids, songs of a hard crazy life. Now if you happened to hear a hard ringing A chord followed by a windmilled G-D, well don't blame me...it's Pete's fault!

6 Comments:

At 6/23/2006, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Hey there,
Always nice to meet another Pete and Who fan. Are you on any of the fan boards where I might know you from?

Very cool that you write and play as well. I did a bit of that in the early 80s and then had to sort of grow up and get a proper job. :) Have you thought of putting your work up on IAC so we can all hear them, which is what many of the other bloggers have done?

If you look on my main blogger page, you'll see I have a link to my novel blog on the side. I hope you like it if you decide to read it. I'm going to work on getting it published over the summer (which is a huge longshot in these times)

Cheers,
AM

 
At 6/23/2006, Blogger blue said...

Hi!
Brilliant jump on the pic!Glad to hear your feeling to "I'm One" is same as mine.Can't stop loving it.Thanks for stopping by my blog.I'll send your mesage to Pete when I go to Hyde Park.

Take care

Tomoko xx

 
At 6/23/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

AM, I just started popping on the blogs of fellow OOers! I saw your name a lot and loved your blog title. I will stop by again and start reading your novel! As soon as I record some stuff I will get it on IAC! Thanks for the tip!

Blue: thanks for stopping by. At 41 I'm One still speaks to me!!!

 
At 6/23/2006, Blogger wind-up-man said...

42- Means 'I hear You!!!!!!!!!' 42 OUT,.........................Danny

 
At 6/23/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Danny, thanks for stopping by! Your screen name rules!!

 
At 6/26/2006, Blogger Colin said...

Freakin' cool! I loved '81. Hell I loved most of the eighties. What can I say?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home