11.7.06

Shine On You Crazy Diamond


Syd Barrett, 1946-2006

From Spin:

The reclusive artist, who left the band in 1968, died of complications related to his diabetes. He was 60. Syd Barrett, co-founder of legendary rock innovators Pink Floyd, died Friday (July 7) due to diabetes-related complications. The artist, who became a recluse in the 1970s after leaving the band, had been suffering from diabetes for some time and succumbed to complications from the condition at his home in Cambridgeshire, England, according to reports. "He died very peacefully a couple of days ago," a spokeswoman for Barrett told the BBC. "There will be a private family funeral." Barrett paired with bandmates David Gilmour and Roger Waters in 1965 but left the band after just three years following a battle with drugs.

From Me:
I remember first hearing Piper at the Gates of Dawn when I was about 15. Yes, me and the boys were experimenting, if you know what I mean. This album is a textbook case of psychedelia. Songs like Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine are classic mind-benders. While my favorite Floyd comes a bit later in the Pink story, but without Syd's madcap genious in the beginning, we may have never made it to the Dark Side of the Moon!

Shine on Syd.


6 Comments:

At 7/11/2006, Blogger Metalchick said...

I had no idea Syd Barrett had been alive that whole time. I thought he died a long time ago. Sorry! I just haven't heard about him over the years. What did he do after he left Pink Floyd?

 
At 7/11/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Syd became a recluse after Floyd, very sad for a musical genius. I know he tried to write some songs but most tended his garden at his mother's home. His imprint, however, is heard on all Floyd songs!

 
At 7/12/2006, Blogger who4ever said...

OH MY GOD!!
Syd is dead??
noooo! in italy we didn't know never!
:-( :-(

SYD YOU ARE A GENIUS!!

LONG LIVE SYD!

Tecla.

P.s
thank's for a comment in my blog.

 
At 7/12/2006, Blogger gypsy noir said...

a fine tribute to sid..he was indeed an elusive charactor..i saw them at knebworth festival back in 72 although because of my strange diet of herbs at the time i have very little recollection of them..saucerful full of secrets ,meddle and ummagumma were what hooked me at the the begining then the rest..i did a post on the matter a while back entitled ..lone groovr..

 
At 7/12/2006, Blogger Laura said...

Hi..nice blog..

visit mine, if u want.

bye

 
At 7/12/2006, Blogger Yumi (B-ko) said...

Thanks for the comment for my drawings.
Yes I love drawing my favourite musicians!!
(And I love giving the drawings to them, hahaha)

Well... I miss Syd... RIP

love Yumi x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home